Saturday, July 16, 2011

Getting Down To Business

Colton, working on his handwriting. This year he is using A Reason For Handwriting, book T. I think we may skip the first section and go straight for cursive. Colton is NOT the typical six year old boy when it comes to handwriting. He adores handwriting and has been begging to learn cursive! Sometimes he can struggle with wanting everything to be just right on the first try. I'm trying to encourage him not to worry if it's not perfect, reminding him that everyone needs to practice before "getting it right".




Matty really enjoys working on puzzles. I try to offer him ones that are of varying degrees of difficulty- some I know he'll get all the pieces in right away and some that are a little challenging. He needs the confidence booster of feeling like "yeah, I can do this, no problem!" If something is too difficult, he just won't even try. I've heard that this is a typical trait in children with Down syndrome, though I don't like generalizing in that way.


And then there's sweet (and sassy) Anna! I love the puzzle she is working on for preschoolers just starting out with puzzles. All the pieces are interchangable so they can put the puzzle together even if they don't get the pieces matched up quite right.



1 comment:

  1. As a perfectionist myself, I can relate to Colton. As one whose handwriting has never been very good and has always preferred typing... I can't relate to Colton [smile].

    ~Luke

    ReplyDelete